This virus has created an unprecedented challenge for our healthcare system, has overrun our hospitals and has caused an alarmingly high mortality rate within critical care facilities. As science is catching up to this novel virus, early clinical reports and anatomical findings show progressive hypoxemia as the main cause of deterioration in patients with COVID-19. As hypoxemia progresses, "standard therapy cannot penetrate the diffusion barriers in the lungs because they are limited by ambient pressure. " (2) Preliminary evidence is showing HBOT is not limited by these barriers and may improve these patients' conditions, especially if intervention occurs at early stages.
Benefits of HBOT
- Rapid Relief of Hypoxic Symptoms (1)
- Decreased Chest Pain (1)
- Decreased Dyspnea (difficulty breathing) (1)
- General Condition Reversal (1)
- Improves Liver Function and Myocardial Injury (1)
- Improved Lung Pathology (1)
- Gradual Improvement of Afterial Blood Gas (1)
- Increases blood oxygen saturation (3)
- Shown to be safe during mechanical ventilation (4)
Study: HBOT for Covid-19
Scan QR Code to learn more and download related studies
- Naval Specialty Medical Center Program Team. Demonstration Report on inclusion of hyperbaric oxygen therapy treatment of Covid-19 Severe Cases.
- Paul G. Harch. Hyperbaric Oxygen treatment of novel coronavirus (COVID-19) respiratory failure Medical Gas Research. 2020; 10: 61-62.
- Antonio De Maioand Lawrence E. Hightowen COVID-19, acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS), and hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT): what is the link? Cell Stress Chaperones. 2020 May 18 : 1-4.
- Jacques Bessereau, Jéröme Aboab, Thomas Hullin, Anne Huon-Bessereau, Jean-Luc Bourgeois, Pierre-Marie Brun, Sylvie Chevret, Djillali Annane. Safety of Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy in Mechanically Ventilated Patients. 2017;65(1):46-51.
Copyright © 2020 International Hyperbaric Association
These statements have not been evaluated or approved by the FDA. All of the statements made on this document are not anecdotal and have been taken directly from preclinical data.